Monday, June 23, 2008

It's soooooo close!


It's the wee hours of the morning on Monday, June 23, 2008. I haven't been able to sleep tonight because all I can think about is Spain, so here I am, looking at Madrid-centric websites on my laptop while watching a marathon of Mad About You reruns on TVLand. But make no mistake, preparation for my grand adventure is in full swing.

Success number one? Finding my passport. It's not so much that it was lost, you see. I knew I had it, since I remembered the last time I had it and knew that I had brought it home, but I had no idea where it was and it was starting to worry me. Luckily, after some serious trashing of my room (which wasn't particularly organized to begin with, complicating matters further), which included full-blown clearing of piles of papers one-by-one SWAT team style, I found the precious golden ticket tucked neatly away in my laptop case.

Anyway, with my all-important papers secured, my mind has been put at ease. I have worked up a packing list on my laptop, and I'll be compiling clothing etc. tomorrow. Now all that is left to do is go to Stillwater to clear up the last of my paperwork for the University, and then I'll be ready to depart promptly at 9:10am this Friday! Can you believe it? It's unreal.

In the meantime, I've been spending most of my time reminiscing about my past trip to Spain through photos (mine and ones online both), and remembering the magical spell Madrid casts on her visitors. I simply cannot wait to wander her streets again. I have included a photo of my passport page which boldly features the stamps marking my entrance to and departure from the country in 2005.

People have asked if I'm nervous, and to be rather truthful, I am not. Traveling does not worry me, as world globalization has effectively "shrunk" the world so much that it is very easy to get in touch with anyone in the world if necessary, or secure any forgotten items. I am a bit of a safety/security nut, so I have strategically chosen my plane seating arrangements to put me in the back few rows of the plane, on the aisle, a spot which, statistically speaking, is safest. The only part of this trip that is really "worrying" me (if it's even serious enough to call it that) is my placement exam which I must take the first Monday I'm in Madrid. It's required in order to guage my level of Spanish and place me in the correct classes. I mean, I'm completely comfortable with my level of Spanish and am quite able to carry on a fluent conversation, write a nearly grammatically-perfect essay, or understand a Spanish TV show, but something about being tested on it all puts a pressure on me that makes it a little different ball game.

Nevertheless, I took the practice exam ISA sent me and easily scored within the Advanced/Superior level. Because of this, I anticipate being able to take elective classes, an option only open to this level of classes. So, I should be taking a class on 20th century Spain, modern sociological aspects of Spain, a flamenco cultural class, and a history of Spain class. I just hope I don't freeze up and bomb the test! Ben and Marina's podcasts are becoming a multiple-times-a-day exercise.

Well, that's it for now. I'll be updating the blog at least once more before departure, and then of course I'll be in Madrid and will be posting all sorts of content almost daily! Be sure to subscribe to the blog or check back regularly!
-Jordan

No comments: