Friday, May 2, 2008

Blog Post 1: The Scoop and the Plan

By Jordan Nelson
Okay, here's the scoop: I went to Spain in 2005 with a small group from my high school (see picture of me in the Plaza Mayor) along with our Spanish teachers to see the country and culture. We traveled with EF tours (google them, they're great) and, long story short, it was awesome. I could go on for days on end about the trip and how cool it was, but I'll spare you (for now) because that is not what this blog is about. Rather, this blog is about my return to Spain, since I have made arrangements to return this summer of 2008 to study at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid, in (of course) beautiful Madrid, the capital of Spain.

Now for the Plan: I have gone through the Office of Study Abroad at my Uni (Oklahoma State) and have also made arrangements through the company International Studies Abroad (www.studiesabroad.com). ISA has many programs for Study Abroad throughout the world, including a surprisingly large number in Spain. I have chosen the Summer 2 program in Madrid, meaning that I will depart the United States on June 27 and study at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid until August 1. After that, it is possible that I may stay for a few days more to enjoy some more free days before coming back.

Through ISA, I will probably stay with a Spanish family, though it is possible I might stay in a dorm of sorts. I will take a Spanish language class adjusted for my already-extensive study of the language, as well as some sort of Spanish culture class (such as a History of Spain class or something similar). I will have plenty of free time during the day, evenings, and weekends however to simply enjoy being there. On the weekends, there are several excursions we will be taking as an ISA group, such as to other towns in Spain like Santander, Toledo, etc. and there will also be some free weekends.

Needless to say I am very excited, and I have created this blog to keep all my friends and family (as well as any random Internet surfer who may be interested in Spain or travel) well informed of my goings-on while I am there. I will make posts with my thoughts, pictures, and videos throughout my stay (and the preparation before and the withdrawal after!). Hope you'll come back for more!

1 comment:

Eleanor said...

What a cool blog, keep it going, Eleanor
http//www.learn-spanish-with-ease.com