Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Ball Gets Rolling

By Jordan Nelson
Well, several things have happened since I last posted. I completed my university's study abroad application and the application for the International Studies Abroad (ISA) program. A few weeks ago, I received my acceptance letter and packet! (see picture.) I completed all the papers and I have sent them in...now all that's left is buying my plane ticket and gettin' outta here!

Needless to say I am very excited. I will be attending the Universidad Complutense de Madrid, very close to the Plaza Mayor and the Puerta del Sol, the two "hubs" of life in Madrid.

Below is a photo of the University, which has been attended by many important Spanish people in the past including King Juan Carlos himself! The other photos are pictures of the ISA office which is conveniently located close.

I've been brushing up on my Spanish skills by listening to the Notes in Spanish Advanced podcasts. If any of you are interested in learning Spanish, I more than highly recommend the Notes In Spanish system; I am a firm believer in it! Ben (a British expat living in Spain for quite some time) and Marina (a native espaƱola) create these podcasts which are lively discussions in "castellano," rather than boring grammar lessons. There are podcasts for the beginner, intermediate, and advanced level. I love them! I also spend time at their sister site Notes From Spain and on their forum!

Anyway, I only have a little over a month until I leave! I'll keep you updated.















La Universidad Complutense de Madrid (below)











View from the ISA office in Madrid (above)

2 comments:

Asher Griffin said...

nobody likes a Spaniard.

Lara Mueller said...

Hi Jordan, I found your blog about Spain and I see that you studied at UCM. I´m brazilian and I´m leaving in september to do a masters in UCM. I would like to ask you how is the neighbourhood of de University, my campus is in the Facultad de Ciencias de la InformaciĆ³n, I don´t know if you can help me with this information. But, anyway, I see you enjoyed your time Madrid. I´m sure I will enjoy it too. Bye, bye. Lara.